Sunday, December 10, 2017

Redos, Retries and BIG NEWS!

Dec 10,2017
Hello all you lovely people! I know it's been awhile since I posted but let's just jump right in...

First off the big news, I graduated this May with a Bachelors in General Studies with chemistry accent and a biology minor! Sounds quite fancy, if I do say so myself. Honestly it just means that when I went to my advisor and said " I want a bachelors", he said "based on all your classes you are able to get this bachelor degree." I said alrighty then and now I have my bachelors. I chose not to walk across the stage but never the less, I am proud of myself for achieving my bachelors! 

I did apply for the Fall 2017 semester down at Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine. I was rejected for the second time and told to retake my GRE, since the score I had sent in was from 2013. This time I didn't get a letter, I got a phone call from the gentleman who interviewed me. When he called I was at work and was so hopeful that I ducked into the restroom to answer his call. He informed me that I did not get in and I told him, while fighting back tears, thank you for calling but that I would have to call him back, since I was at work. I must have spent 10 mins in that bathroom trying to stop crying and to calm myself back down but, it was a blow to the gut, let me tell you. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger! So I pushed forward, my family and friends were a continuous source of positivity and motivation when I started to get down on myself. 

I knew I wasn't going to give up! I signed up for a Vertebrate Zoology course taught at Wichita State University in the fall. I didn't want to have any education breaks and I wanted to stay sharp. I also decided that I would cast my nest further this time. I applied to Ross University, St. George University and St. Matthew's University. I sent all my info to both Ross and St. Matthew's and was about to finish sending all my documents to St. George when I got a call from St. Matthew's, they wanted to interview me! I was so excited and after the Skype interview, St. Matthew's told me to get all things in order so that if I got accept for their Jan 2018 semester, I would be ready. Now, St. Matthew's is not U.S. accredited,so that would just mean that I would have to take an additional exam before my boards to be able to practice in the United States. Which, I thought would be no big deal because if I could pass the additional exam then the boards wouldn't be too scary. Another point about St. Matthew's, that I was unaware of, was that because it is not accredited, you can NOT get government loans! I searched for two straight days and could find no place that would do private students loans for an unaccredited university. So in the end, St. Matthew's and I just didn't work out.

Then on Nov 30th, 2017, while I was at work, I felt my phone vibrating in my scrub pocket. I looked down and saw that it was a call from New Jersey, which could only mean Ross! I immediately thought of what had happened last time. I knew I had 4 and half more hours left of my shift and I didn't want to spend those hours fighting back tears again. So I chose not to answer it. After about an hour or so,  I glanced back at my phone and saw there was a voicemail. I was so nervous and I didn't want to know what that voicemail had to say but after about 30 mins, my will power broke and I stepped out to listen to the message. It was from a women and all she really said was "I just wanted to share some information with you regarding your application, call me back or I can try calling back tomorrow morning". Now I tried to not be too hopeful because I didn't want to get my hope crushed when I talked to her. I decided to wait for her to call me the next day. So the next day is Dec 1st,2017 at about 9am, I couldn't take the suspense anymore, I called her. But I got her voicemail so I hung up. Within 10 mins I got a call for Bill Bingham on an unknown number from New Jersey. I answered it and was terrified. Then he said, we would like to offer you a spot in our Jan 2018 Vet Prep Classes! I immediately accepted!! I know the Vet Prep may not have been what I was hoping for but when I passed the vet prep program I would immediately start the DVM program! I was so on board! 

SOooo things are moving pretty fast here. I still have to finish my course at WSU on Dec 12th and get all my student Visa paperwork done but I am not stressed at all. I'm so excited and just so happy. I will continue to keep you update as I begin this brand new chapter of my life, into Vet School on the Caribbean island of St.Kitts!




No comments:

Post a Comment