Saturday, January 6, 2018

Orientation Week for Vet Prep

Friday, Dec 29th,2017- Landed in St.Kitts!!
     Alright, things are getting serious, people! Landed in st.kitts and our plane stopped on the tarmac. As the fellow passengers and I exited the plane, we walked across the tarmac to the airport building. It felt like a scene from a movie. The sky was so blue and the air was cooling with the warm Caribbean sun shining down. First thing first was customs, I had to fill out customs paperwork and show my passport. The lady also asks to see a copy of my acceptance letter, after I informed her I was on the island for vet school. I informed her that I didn’t have the physical paper on me but I tried to show her my email acceptance letter I had on my iPhone. She was less than thrilled about that but she ushered me on through. 
Once passed customs I went downstairs to collect my checked luggage. I was one the last few down to the luggage area and I immediately found my luggage. It looked absolutely fine, aside from a large crack across the corner of my pink roller suitcase. But that suitcase had a fabric liner inside of it and that lining had held any the items in the bag. I found the Ross University Rep outside and I checked in with her. As we loaded the bus to take us to Ross I met two new friends, “Georgia” and “Maryland”. Georgia is a first-semester student and Maryland is a fellow Vet Prep student.  At the dorms, I met “Ohio”  who is a 1st semester and “San Antonio” who is a vet prepper.  Later that night I also met “Pennsylvania” who another vet prepper. 
                        




Saturday, Dec 30,2017- Island Exploring
Ohio, Maryland, Georgia and I went to meet up my sister J, at the Marriott and take in the beach. We walked over to the strip, which includes Shiggy Shak (a local bar/restaurant). We caught a taxi into the capital, Basseterre. We were lucky enough to be able to be in St.Kitts during Carnival. The costumes were bright and colorful and the music was upbeat but very loud. They even played “shape of you” as an island remix. It was quite interesting. If you were there, you may have gotten the impression that the island was hard of hearing because the music was so loud, one could feel their eardrums wanting to break. Once we got back to campus, we went to a local grocery store called Best Buy. Please understand that this is not the big electronic store that we know and love in the States! But they had tons of name brands and I found lots of things I eat at home.
Shopping Purchases included; Frosted Flakes, popcorn, peanut butter crackers, Campbell's soup, red baron pizza,  Jif peanut butter, and milk. As Maryland continues to tell each of us, as we find more familiar snacks, "we are going to be alright"! 
 


Sunday, Dec 31,2017- New Years Eve
New years eve arrived and we took time to explore and tour the camps with our orientation groups. The campus is just large enough to get a little confused. Each group has an OL, an orientation leader, who is an upper semester student. They show you around and answer your questions. We also got to go to the student union building and get our ID cards. These picture IDs will give you access to your classrooms, the gym, and the dorms. You also need your ID to get back to campus so always take it will you. That afternoon we brought all of our electronic devices and had a "security slime" put on it. SO bring everything; laptops, ipads, apple pencils, cameras, phones and such. For dinner, Georgia, San Antonio, Maryland, Penns, and Ohio ordered pizza for a delivery service called (869-To-Go). We invited a few more students to our group and played "heads up". I highly recommend that you branch out and meet as many people as you possibly can during your first week. Don't stay with the same two people and not branch out. This is your time! Everyone is new and everyone is nervous and excited! Be bold, go say hello and start a conversation! that evening we can a bonfire on the beach to ring in the new year. I went with some people and just went from group to group saying hello. Meet the OL's, the first semester students and the vet preppers.





Monday, Jan 1,2018- Shipwreck Beach
So Monday was a pretty relaxed day. There was an option of going to Carnival or to the beach. I picked the beach because I wanted a relaxing day without a lot of noise and stress ( I was sure to get plenty of that in the future).We went to Shipwreck beach which is south of the Marriott and over the big hill ( that's how you navigate on the island, by landmarks of some kind). I will say that I reapplied sunscreen every hour but still got brunt so maybe do every 30 mins if you are as pale as I am. On shipwreck beach there are monkeys. Word to the wise, do NOT feed the monkeys! They will hassle you for food if you feed them and they can get violent. Also, watch your drinks because monkeys can and will come sip on your drink. Nobody wants a drunken monkey. After the beach, the OL's set up a movie night for us in two of the classrooms. They showed Jurassic World and Moana. It was a fun way to just relax and meet your fellow students in a low-key setting.




 
 


Tuesday, Jan 2,2018- First Offical Day of Orientation
So the day arrived and it was the first day of orientation.  This was the day we learned the term "Island time". They had told us that we would get ipads, laundry cards, and island cell phones. None of these things have arrived. We learned the term "Rush Slowly". When you get to St.Kitts, you understand this statement on a spiritual level. In the morning, breakfast served and it was free to all students. You have to promise me right now that you need to try, at least just once, the zucchini bread.  It will mend your weary heart and prep you for the first day of orientation week. The orientation talks will, of course, begin with many speakers. Now, take a deep breath! Some of the things you are told may be overwhelming but don't worry. You have your entire class and your OL's to help guide you. When you walk into the room and you have a sudden flood of emotions, don't worry every single person is having their own mental breakdown too. So we are all in this together! You were picked out of tons of student and you deserve to be here and you can become the DVM you have always dreamed about!
So after the emotion hurricane, that is the first day of orientation, is over, you can breath a little. Take the afternoon to go explore with your fellow students. I went with Maryland's OL group to Port Zante. Port Zante is where all the cruise ships dock. If you go when there aren't any cruise ships docked, most of the shops won't be open. So you will want to go when a cruise ship docks, to get the full experience of  Port Zante. Bring your student ID with you and wear it around your neck when you go out, most of the locals that are trying to sell things will leave you alone if you have your Ross ID on. This is not a hard rule because I had a girl in my group, who just simply sat down to get some ice cream and a random local came up and started rubbing her leg with an aloe plant. It was quite a shock to her and she sweetly told him to stop but he just kept going. Our OL came to our rescue and told the gentleman that she didn't need it and that she had no money to tip him. Our OL explained to us that the local men needed to be very firmly told No. You can't softly tell them no because they won't get it. Also, go with a group and have a plan for getting back to Ross. I highly recommend calling Mr.Rogers to take you when you and your group travel about.  He charges (normally) 20 EC  (Eastern Caribbean Dollars) for a round trip. That's about 8 US dollars and don't worry, you will get use to the EC to Dollar conversion very quickly (it takes about a week).


Wednesday, Jan 3,2018-Second Day of Orientation
The second of orientation talks where pretty general. They held a lot of knowledge that will be beneficial to do your best to pay close attention. this was also the day I got approved to move from Cleghorn basement to Douglas hall main floor. The thing about the dorms is that is your room number is in the 100's then it is in the basement. 200's are the main floor and of course, 300's being top floor. That evening we went to Sprat Net, a local bar/restaurant, I encourage everyone to try new things when you go to new places. As my mom and dad always say, try everything at least once.









Thursday, Jan 4,2018- Third Day of Orientation
The third day of orientation was a bit longer but we got done by 3pm which left plenty of time to clean and decorate my new dorm room. Went and did another shopping at best buy for a few things. I must caution you to always check the dates on things, especially milk. You do not want to buy a gallon of milk that expires tomorrow. That evening there was a game night at the student union building. We even had a scavenger hunt around campus. I know I keep harping on this but go do activities and things that are organized for you because you don't have any homework yet.

Friday, Jan 5, 2018- Fourth Day of Orientation & Radio Tower Hike
After the fourth and last day of orientation, I went on a guided hike up to the radio tower. My hike was lead by an OL who had done the hike many times before. Word to the wise, take a full bottle of water, wear good shoes (tennis shoes or something you can hike and climb in) and bring a buddy. The hike is roughly 1hour and 20 mins uphill and it is very steep in most places. Don't be ashamed to stop for breaks! take your phone to take pictures as proof of your great trek up the mountain. That evening the OL took our group on a taxi tour of the island's capital. 



 



Saturday, Jan 6, 2018- Catamaran
Okay this was a great day! The Catamaran trip was awesome! 1st semester and vet prep all got mixed up and put on one of two catamarans. Even though there was rain, it was Caribbean rain. It means that the rain only lasted for 15 mins max! We were told that we would get laundry card to operate the washers and dryers in each of the dorm rooms. But with the laundry cards nowhere to be found, Ross had to come up with a different idea. They made it so we could use one washer in Wood's Dorm, one washer in Columbus' Dorm and one dryer in Tegerman Dorm. Imagine 100 plus students with only two washers and only one dryer. This just goes to show that Rossies are adaptive and overcome issues that arise. That evening, San Antonio, Maryland and I had an adult dinner party. We made chicken fried rice, using chicken nuggets (cut into tiny pieces). 




 




It was a busy but fun-filled week!






2 comments:

  1. Hello SJ. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interest in being Veterinarian. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 39 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai with your friends to work with us during your vacation time I am sure you will have a life changing experience. Beside this as you are preparing yourself to be a Veterinarian, my nephew is a Professor in an Veterinary College and you will have opportunity to attend some classes in his college too which will be a learning experience for you. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends as well as wishing you and your family and friends a blessed and a Christ centered New year. My email idis: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to hear from you! What is your nephew's name?

    ReplyDelete