Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Update from 2nd week

Alrighty, my lovely people!
So have few new people to add to my list of friends! (side note: I am not listing everyone so if you know find yourself listed do not be mad, you will get your moment in the spotlight soon )

So for starters, I want to highlight two new squad members. First, we have NOLA, she is from New Orleans, Louisana. So when you abbreviate her town and state you get NO, LA ---> and that's why she is NOLA.
Second, we have our next member from New Jersey. I will refer to him as Jersey.

Pressing forward let us just dive straight into the second week. I will continue to try to keep you updated but as I progress onward this semester I know I will not be able to post every week. Feel free to message me any questions you might have. Remember I was a Pre-Vet student in undergrad just like some of you. I searched for weeks for students blogs and Instagram accounts. Trying to collect all the data I could. If you are thinking of applying to Ross, I say do it! Jump off into the deep end.....of the ocean and swim (or most likely, fly ) to St.Kitts and become a Rossie (the nickname of Ross students).

I digress, where was I.....OH yes, 2nd week! Days seem to fly by here. My normal day consists of waking up about 6am-6: 30 am and getting ready for the day. I start off kinda slow, making my bed, washing any dishes in my sink and brushing my teeth. You know, pretty basic stuff. Now at 7 am, I meet Maryland at the patio area between the dorm buildings and we go on a 20 min run around campus and by the paddocks, where some the animals eat there breakfast. If you run any later then 8 am, it is just getting too warm, plus all the first semester students are heading off to morning classes so you end up weaving in and out of groups of them as you run. Side note: campus has a lot of "slopes". I say "slopes" because being from Kansas, I would call them hills but the locals and upper semesters continue to tell me that they are just "slopes". But hey, you know what? When you come down, you can see for yourself and you can let me know.

After my morning run, I head back to my dorm for a quick 20 mins and get ready for a study group and classes. I want to just say that I have a MacBook, iPad and an apple pencil. They are amazing and they make life a whole lot easier for me. But each student will have there own personal style so find yours.

Our vet prep course runs about 50 mins long and meets throughout the week. They are, for the most part, in the same room. So you stay in your seat and the professors cycle through. It's actually quite nice indeed! Also, all lectures are recorded and posted online for you to rewatch at another time. All the professors teach from powerpoints that they post before class (either days before or 30 mins before).



 (I know that in this video I said I would mute the volume but I can't get it to mute, so please disregard). This a video of our Vet Prep classroom with is the Lower Auditorium ( which is referred to as "Lower Aud").


We do have random little things peppered throughout our week. For example, the club fair happened on the student union pavilion (the grassy area southwest of the Student Union).  It was amazing to see how many clubs there were. Most clubs only meet once every month or every two months. SOoooo I decide to join a few as a normal member and not run for any officer position (at least not yet).

Clubs that I signed up for were AABP Club, Surgery Club, ZEW club and scuba club.
       -ZEW (Zoo, Exotic, Wildlife) Club
Core Statement: ZEW Club serves to provide Ross University’s veterinary students with hands-on experiences and further education in the fields of zoo, exotic and wildlife medicine. Whether it be researching, government, mixed practice, integration with other fields, etc.... we're your club!
     -Surgery Club
Our club motto is to further the students’ knowledge in the area of veterinary surgery with emphasis on small animal surgery and some emphasis on large animal and equine surgery, to provide information about specializing in the field of surgery within the veterinary profession, and when possible, organize hands-on opportunities for the members of the club.
       -Scuba Club
Welcome to the RUSVM Scuba Club! We are dedicated to introducing you to the fabulous world thirty feet (and further) below sea level.  The club is open to all Ross students, faculty, staff, and their family members. You don't need to be certified to join. Monthly club dives, other island dive trips, Beach Fest, and diver education opportunities provide students with ample opportunity to get to know each other and the island.
     -AABP Club
Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine's chapter of American Association of Bovine Practitioners (AABP).
 **any of you that know me, knew that I would find this club in a heartbeat**

Well that's a long enough post for now, until next time, Have A Great Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment