Friday, February 2, 2018

Failure teaches us to stand back up

Hello, darling people of the internet! It is after the first exam and I've been here for over a month.




I really love this school and the island. I'm so excited for my journey here! As always I want to be honest with you and let you know my success and my failure. I know I post a lot of the positive and funny stories that make up a big chunk of my life but I would be remiss if I did not share the negative side of things with you as well. I am human and negative things happen.

I promise, my dear reader, that after this not-so-happy tale, I will post a much happier one. Okay so let dive right in. My study methods for the exam included attending TA sessions, group study sessions, making notecard and private studying. I was feeling confident and positive about my understanding of the course material.

On the exams in Vet Prep there are your four main classes;
Medical Math &Pharmocology
Microbiology
Veterinary Terminology
Cell Biology

The exams in Vet Prep semester are, what they call, "Block Exams". Meaning that you get all four exams at once and have two hours to complete all four exams. It sounds awful but it's not horrible....okay it's kinda horrible (I can't lie to you guys). Soooo anywho........I decided to take my exam from easiest to hardest so I could build my confidence! So I started with Veterinary Terminology, then Pharmacology, then Microbiology and then lastly Cell Biology. Now the good thing is that each section of the exam is only about 30 questions and the questions are multiple choice (so roughly 90 some questions for the entire exam). So, that is in your favor while taking the exam. But the downside to that is that if you miss about 3 questions, you drop a letter grade.

My grades for Exam one came out to be:

Medical Math &Pharmocology   B
Microbiology                               A
Veterinary Terminology               A
Cell Biology                                 F

My heart sank and I felt sick to my stomach.....how could this have happened? I felt like I had studied so hard. I cried, a lot.....for about 20 mins and that's when I started to feel sorry for myself. I felt like I didn't belong here like I wasn't good enough and that I should just go home.
I felt the weight on the failure drop like 1,000lbs on my shoulders and I felt so lost.......but then I started to get angry. I was angry at myself. I wasn't angry because I had failed ( though it upset me to my core), I was angry because after one exam all I could see was my one weakness....my one fail. I had not been happy for any of my A's or B's that I had earned through my hard work and studying. After one F, I was talking myself down, ready to run back to Kansas and call it quits!

No Way.

Not going to happen.

I have come too far and worked too hard to let one failure define me! I have faced failure before but it was my strength to push forward that had gotten me here, TO VET SCHOOL! No one else had done that, that was all me!

So, ladies and gentlemen, I failed my first Cell Biology section but I Passed my three other courses! One F will NOT define me! So for anyone reading this blog, know that you are more than your failures....YOU are the fire in your heart that burns for your dream! You deserve this and you can make it happen!

So I return to my study desk to begin study for my next exam and push through to do better!

As a very wise person once said,
"I just want to remind you that one “bad grade” doesn’t define you, limit your intelligence, outline your potential or decrease your worth. You are going to rock the rest of this semester because I know this isn’t going to set you back, talk to your professor, show them your notes, reassess how you studied, and give it all you got! "- OLAB







No comments:

Post a Comment