Sunday, February 4, 2018

Shhh....be very, very quite. We're hunting apartments

Well with any student who comes into Ross, you have to stay the first semester in the dorms on campus.

Here's a video of my lovely dorm when I first moved into the dorms. I was originally put into the dorm building called "Cleghorn" but about four days later, I moved to the dorm building "Douglas". So that is why the two videos show two different rooms.
So this is a tour of my Cleghorn room, the day I landed in St.Kitts!




This is a video of my dorm after I finished unpacking and decorating in the dorm building "Douglas". It turned out rather nicely. 


I took that video this morning since my older video from January wasn't loading properly.  

But of course, after your very first semester on campus, you are required to find housing elsewhere. Now, this can be a bit tricky. There is housing across the campus but it is very competitive because everyone wants to live there. I had originally wanted to live on my own but after speaking with other students I changed my mind and decided to be roommates with Maryland! She and I began looking for a two bedroom/ two bathroom apartment. We wanted to say about $1,000 dollars or less (of course) but the main thing for both of us was safety. 

I changed my mind about a roommate for multiple reasons:
1.) Maryland is a super awesome friend
2.) safer in pairs ( in case you lock yourself out,etc)
3.) having a buddy
4.) able to rent a more expensive place and split the cost
5.) study group
6.) can go in on the purchasing of a vehicle  

We went and looked at a few different places and even put down offers for apartments but we kept missing out it seemed. But then we found Silver Reef Apartment Complex. It all kinda came together and we were able to sign a lease. Here are a few pictures of a double unit (2bed/2 bath).


Now I know what you are thinking....Sam where are the videos? You always posted videos! Okay, okay, here is a video of a single room.... that's the best I can do for you at this time but don't fret when Maryland and I move in, in May, I'll take a better video of our apartment. Sorry, I know that I took this video a little too quickly through the apartment but thank you for bearing with me.




A single unit is $1,300 a month and then the double unit is $1,900 a month. Now, this a bit more on the expensive side but not terrible prices for down here. Maryland and I had a talk about rent and the two bedrooms. Maryland wanted the larger upstairs room with the private bathroom and walk-in closet and I was totes fine with the downstairs bedroom and large full hallway bathroom. So we spilt the rent $1,000 and $900. Maryland pays $100 more to be on the top floor with the bigger room.
Unfortunately, Silver Reef is not pet-friendly so I will have to wait to bring Gryffindor down but he is doing just fine stateside. I will close with a picture of him that was sent to me from W this morning.




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I’m so glad I found your blog. I have always been looking for apartments in Temecula, and it’s no easy feat to find a comfortable, safe, and affordable place all-in-one. But, wow! You’ve found a great unit plus a buddy! Should I also get a housemate? It sounds fun and a practical solution. Looking forward to more of your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here on the island it is really up to you on what your person preference is, if you want a roommate or not. Everyone is different and I think that if you come down for your first semester at Ross, if you meet the right person, a roommate is a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete